Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 13:32:37 -0400

   Le ven. 16 oct. 2020 à 18:50, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> a écrit :

   >    > Asking to for non-free software to be removed is a laudable thing to
   >    > do and it is something I hope more people will do, but it is not
   >    > telling someone what they should or shouldn't do.
   >
   >    Would you mind clarifying the difference between the two?
   >
   > Could you please get me a cup of tea?
   >
   > I want a cup of tea, get me one.
   >
   > Is there anyone who wants to implement frobnitz in Emacs?
   >
   > You must implement frobnitz in Emacs otherwise we will start using vi.

   So the difference is to say "please" and be polite when we ask them to
   remove some packages?

That is the differences between asking someone if they can do
something for you, and giving them an order ... so yes?

   What if they say no? Does it change our opinion of them?

If someone brings you a cup of tea, or does something for you, don't
you hold them to a slightly higher regard?

And if someone, or a project, removes something that we find
problematic, instead of maybe insisting on keeping it around, don't
you think that also changes the overal perception between the two
parties?

If they say no, then they said no.  Maybe one can convince them of
otherwise, but trying to force their hand would be unkind and unfair.
Just like it is unkind to try and force the GNU project to for example
recommend Melpa in Emacs since it would go against our principles.