Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 15:17:16 +0300

On 16.10.2020 11:25, Marcel Ventosa wrote:

Perhaps. Transitional solutions go both ways though. A cursory glance at
Reddit's Emacs group is enough to notice not only ignorance of the
philosophy behind GNU, but quite recurrent mockery of what it stands
for. Usually in the form of deriding RMS. For the most recent example,
one user comments under abrochard's survey post: "So, will you be
censoring the survey to maintain ideological purity, like rms
insisted?", to which abrochard responds: "I agree with you. The
discussion around Melpa is a big factor as to why the survey is
happening in parallel to the gnu project."

Do you think the "mockery" is entirely without merit?

It's not even so much real mockery as probably the only way the user could describe the conflict.

When a survey purposefully omits a well-known and popular option, it is going to discount a sizable portion of our community, and ignore a project that has done a lot to popularize Emacs over the years.

I think it's both insulting to its developers, and stinks of thought police. Far from the idea of user freedom I hope to expect from GNU and FSF.

I'm not saying the obfuscation is purposeful either in the case of
`MELPA' imitating the name of the existing `GNU ELPA', or of Adrien
calling his survey *The* Emacs User survey", but what I do think is that
all non-GNU initiatives that affect perception of GNU, particularly the
ones that clearly do not share the GNU philosophy (the survey referred
to `GNU/Linux' as `Linux', for example), would seem much more
transparent if they were very clearly and visibly labeled as unofficial.
My hope, of course, would be that these initiatives could respect the
GNU philosophy, even if they did not share it.

Calling it "THE Emacs User survey" is perhaps unfortunate. But likewise it is unfortunate how Emacs leadership does little to follow the external, "unofficial" polls.

A survey doesn't have to be "the official GNU survey" to be useful.