Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 17:54:27 +0300

On 16.10.2020 07:02, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > In case where there is a discret gfx card (i.e. Nvidia/AMD) it is
   > probably faster to send everything to GPU and ask it to render a
   > giant texture and then use it as XWindow pixmap, or something similar
   > then to figure out on CPU all the stuff that should not be displayed.

   > But Emacs will maybe run on some slow devices (atmel Emacs anyone?), so
   > you probably don't want to ditch away all that disp stuff.

The most important targets machines for the GNU system are machines
that don't require users to install any nonfree software.

Unfortunately, Nvidia and AMD GPUs require the system to download
nonfree firmware into them.  It follows that computers with that
hardware can't get certified for Respects Your Freedom -- and we who
prize freedom won't use them.

The development of GNU Emacs has to give first priority to those
computers -- not to the more powerful computers that require your
system load to contain nonfree software.

Even low-end GPUs like Intel's integrated ones or Mali GPUs on ARM can use OpenGL well these days.

The latest releases of Mozilla Firefox include a GPU-based rendering engine which works very well with my integrated Intel UHD 630 on a 4K monitor in full screen.

If Firefox can do that (with its multitude of supported graphical elements, animations and effects), Emacs certainly can do it too.