Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 16:41:41 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > do believe if Elisp
>   > via Emacs let one do some cool visual stuff, like programming some
>   > graphics, and doing drawing in the editor would make it more useful and
>   > more efficient. Also I see it as a one brick in making Emacs more
>   > popular. I personally think it would be super cool to see Emacs do 3D
>   > with Elisp,
>
> Would this be a feature that works acceptably fast
> only if there is nonfree software in your system load?
Well it depends what one does and on underlaying OpenGL implementation.

I don't expect that anyone would use Emacs to make AAA games to be
played on 144Hz 8K screens, though it would be certainly cool if they
did. For doing some 2D graphics like plotting, graphs or 3D visualisations,
prototyping etc, I think it would work good enough. As Dmitry says, even
built-in Intel drivers does decent in simpler cases.