Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 05:32:35 +0200

  > Even if it contained non-free software, this is beside the point.  What
  > use is a survey if it doesn't strive to accurately capture the status
  > quo and instead basks in ideological purity?

That's not a fair description of what we are doing, so it is a misled
criticism.

Just as a reminder, here is what the email starter suggested:

> a survey for Emacs users to better grasp the diversity and various usages out there

There is nothing about taking practical decisions or encouraging free software (or anything) there.

And I would be worried about selection bias in a survey which voluntarily omits the most popular options from the lists of choices: how many people would choose not to complete the survey of they feel that the questions are biased?

Would it be acceptable to put all major package repos in the list, with a warning saying that melpa is not a free software repository? The same warning could be used when mentioning windows, non-free IDEs, etc.