Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 15:54:28 +0800

> Reason for that is that it is obvious that people do, people ARE using
> MELPA and Marmalade software repositories; AND more important reason
> not to ask is that information about usage of those repositories,
> likes, number of contributors, it is already available on the
> Microsoft Github "Insights" link on the MELPA page. There is no point
> in asking users what is already obvious. There are stars or likes on
> Github.

I disagree that there is no point asking. Assuming that we are
interested to know about MELPA/Marmalade usage, taking information about
usage/stars/contributors/etc from third-party sources will represent
different subset of Emacs users - it cannot be compared with other
results of the presently discussed poll.

All the MELPA/marmalade statistics is inherently biased. It only
represents Emacs users using those repositories. On the other hand,
asking about package repositories in this poll will provide us with a
concrete estimate how popular are MELPA and Mermalade. In future, when
nongnu ELPA is going to be up and running for a while, it may also be
interesting to see how the popularity changes.

Best,
Ihor