Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 08:04:18 +0300

* Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> [2020-10-12 06:33]:

> >   > Even if it contained non-free software, this is beside the point.  What
> >   > use is a survey if it doesn't strive to accurately capture the status
> >   > quo and instead basks in ideological purity?
> >
> > That's not a fair description of what we are doing, so it is a misled
> > criticism.
>

> Just as a reminder, here is what the email starter suggested:
>
> > a survey for Emacs users to better grasp the diversity and various usages
> out there
>
> There is nothing about taking practical decisions or encouraging free
> software (or anything) there.

Every opinion poll survey has a purpose, normally the purpose is to
find out what majority wish and want to improve the product or service
and thus reach or gain more customers, strike it, users.

- Encouraging free software is within the context of GNU Emacs subject.

- Encouraging or supporting usage of non-free software is not within
  the context.

Thus the survey or opinion polls cannot be evaluated in the manner to
encourage usage of proprietary software, it is vice versa. Those
opinions vouching for proprietary software would or should be
enlightened of the benefits and safety of free software.

A survey from the context of GNU Emacs development naturally should
involve questions related to free software as the purpose of Emacs was
historically to distribute free software,
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html

> Would it be acceptable to put all major package repos in the list,
> with a warning saying that melpa is not a free software repository?

Are there many package repositories? I know of three, there will be
fourth soon elpa.nongnu.org or similar.

They do provide free software naturally as packages should be GPL so
far I understand (not sure), but if they wrap non free software or
have pointers to non free software, such recommendation would be
contrary to principles why GNU Emacs have been made as free software.

> The same warning could be used when mentioning windows, non-free
> IDEs, etc.

Warning you mention is used on Emacs download page, see
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html