Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 21:15:24 +0200

> I can perfectly use http://elpa.gnu.org through Emacs
>
> I cannot at all use https://melpa.org through Emacs, it is
> impossible. It is common sense not to design sites in such stunned way
> (sorry I was looking for synonyms of "stupid" not to be too bold).

It seems reasonable to me that a list that changes every now and then
(Elpa) is easier to serve statically than a list which is updated
several times a day (Melpa).

But if the list of GNU Elpa is generated automatically, maybe the code
to do that can be useful to Melpa.

> Website of MELPA is ridiculous. If it promotes Emacs, it should be
> accessible through Emacs. And now we discuss what Emacs users want,
> example me, I don't want to be pushed around.

Or maybe Emacs should have a web browser which can run (free) javascript.

I don't think so, for obvious security reasons, but then again I don't
expect to be able to access all emacs-related websites from within
Emacs.

And, again, Melpa is accessible through Emacs: the entire content of
the website is served on an API which is fully supported by Emacs
(list-packages).

> This site requires JavaScript to function.

At least that's pretty explicit.

> JavaScript license information

And they went through the trouble of using only free javascript for
the website (except for the, admittedly, unnecessary twitter feed and
analytics, which a lot of users will block with their adblocker or
LibreJS).