Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 15:04:29 +0300

* Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com> [2020-10-11 10:33]:
> On Sat 10 Oct 2020 at 12:35, "Philip K." <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
> > That could be mitigated with a "graceful degradation" approach, since
> > most people do have javascript activated by default.
>
> it should be possible to fill in the survey from emacs
>
> emacs does not support executing javascript code

If any website functions only with Javascript, people would launch
external browser from Emacs, thus jumping to Javascript which could be
non-free.

> many people do have javascript disabled by default

Many is vague, and I am sure it is true, but "many" does not represent
majority, you have to think of default settings in major browsers, if
they have Javascript turned on, majority have Javascript turned on,
regardless how many have it disabled.

> many people just close and ignore pages that require javascript

I agree, though many is not equal to majority.

> would not it be nice to be able to reply to the survey from emacs?

Yes, please.

> for example, could the survey work similar to report-emacs-bug where
> the template is taken from somewhere dynamically from existing
> infrastructure (instead of extra web server), e.g. using a reference
> to a message on emacs-survey@gnu.org?

Exactly good idea.