Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 19:41:16 -0500

On 08 Oct 2020, Adrien Brochard wrote:
>But the for the platform to collect responses, this is where it gets
>difficult. Something like a Google survey might the easiest/cheapest to
>make and distribute and will work on most devices, but it obviously has
>privacy concerns. On the other hand, doing something like self-hosting a
>no-JS form is very time consuming. I was also thinking of allowing
>link and then manually reconcile responses.

There is a free software web-based survey tool named LimeSurvey:

  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeSurvey

  - https://github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey

  - https://www.limesurvey.org

LimeSurvey.org seems to actually be a company that provides commercial hosting.
 It's not clear to me whether the version they host is just the free software
version or whether it has some proprietary bits added, but in any case one
could just run the free software version oneself.  (I know a project that did
so many years ago, and they had a good experience with it, FWIW.)

Best regards,
-Karl