Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 14:58:05 +0300

* Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> [2020-10-10 13:56]:

> I would add a "I don't know" item here.
>
> > ** Describe your configuration
> >     - I am using vanilla emacs (little to no configuration).
> >     - Custom configuration
> >     - Spacemacs - https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs
> >     - Doom Emacs - https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs
> >     - Prelude - https://github.com/bbatsov/prelude
> >     - purcell emacs.d - https://github.com/purcell/emacs.d
> >     - magnars emacs.d - https://github.com/magnars/.emacs.d
> >     - Emacs Starter Kit - https://github.com/eschulte/emacs-starter-kit
> >     - oh-my-emacs - https://github.com/xiaohanyu/oh-my-emacs
> >     - Better Defaults - https://github.com/technomancy/better-defaults
> >     - Graphene - https://github.com/rdallasgray/graphene
> >     - ohai-emacs - https://github.com/bodil/ohai-emacs
> >     - ergoemacs-mode - https://github.com/ergoemacs/ergoemacs-mode
> >     - Rho Emacs - https://github.com/GChristensen/rho-emacs
> >     - Radian - https://github.com/raxod502/radian
> >     - Centaur Emacs - https://github.com/seagle0128/.emacs.d
> >     - Other

The Emacs bug report system already include packages employed by
various users, so the survey data of who uses which package, on which
system, which Emacs version, is already there in the bug system.

It needs only be evaluated, Emacs Lisp could crawl through the bug
report and find out which packages are used mostly, which
configurations, themes are used mostly by those who report bugs.

Help menu -> Tell us how to improve Emacs, could automatically ask
user to send whatever list of packages user is using, of course by
asking user for permission, in similar way how that does the function
{M-x report-emacs-bug}

I am against advertising of the Microsoft® Github® on any official
Emacs communication lines.

I find the above Microsoft Github list biased for the reason that the
list have been made in specific order by somebody and I do not see why
should Centaur be last and Spacemacs first.

Additionally, whoever made the list, already have got it by
popularity, in fact, there is nothing to be asked, as Github is asking
users to LIKE the project, there are "stars" given by users, so if you
wish to know which Github project is more popular, use the following
search:

https://github.com/search?o=desc&q=emacs&s=stars&type=Repositories

The evaluation is right there, as it is sorted by stars given by its
users. Thus the above list is absolutely not necessary.

Emacs, as free software, in general should not be pointing users to
Github for reasons of non-free Javascript.

Jean