Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 21:33:07 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2020-10-12 20:37]:
> > Additionally for users who did not set up email system,
>
> Most users have an email client, and they can use that client for
> this.  But it is a valid point that some users, who can use email,
> might nevertheless not want to, or might prefer another way of
> sending feedback.  We can accept feedback in more than one way.

Just thinking of those Windows users and GNU/Linux and BSD users who
would not have the Emacs set for sending email, what if they just use
smartphones to send emails? There are different groups of users today,
is not same as before 20 years when email was so much popular. There
are users using almost exclusively chat systems, disregarding email.

I wonder if users on Windows or GNU/Linux who do use email on their
system would be properly served with the option 'mail-client'.

They would face 3 options, mail-client, transport, smtp, right?

I have just tried it on my Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre where I have set
mutt as my mail client, so what happened is following:

- I have chosen 'mail client'

- epiphany browser opened, I do not know why exactly

- thereafter xterm opened, with mutt

- mutt asked me pre-defined emails as I specified it in the Emacs M-x
  mail, I guess it would be same as report-emacs-bug

- I found my double signature inside of the new email, and when I
  wanted to send email, my from email was changed to other email
  address

- instead of having Unix style line endings, I could see ^M when
  editing that new email from mutt, very ugly

Overall, on GNU/Linux I am not satisfied with mail-client option, it
can be my own bad configuration.

And I wonder how well would that work on side of other people using
various mail clients, and if at all it would work.

I could see following in the new email that was invoked through mail
client option, those annoying ^M

--Text follows this line--^M
^M
^M