RE: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: RE: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 22:33:18 +0000

I see it generally. What do you see when you use `C-h f defcustom' or `C-h v print-circle? Don't you see links for each of the quoted (`...') functions and vars?

Yes, but not for the most important one: the function/variable/face... being described, defcustom or print-circle in your examples.

Wouldn't a "See also chapter N ZZZZ in the Emacs manual." and/or "For programmers, see also chapter N ZZZZ in the Emacs Lisp manual." (with hyperlinks) at the end of ordinary help buffers be much more useful?

For which symbols? Are you going to add such a see-also for each quoted name in a `*Help*' buffer?

No, only for the main symbol, the symbol whose docstring is being displayed in the help buffer. At least that was the meaning of the proposal I sent a few hours ago: to add one (or more) link(s) at the end of the docstring pointing to the chapter(s) of the manual(s) in which they are documented.

I've long said that we need that for the thing that is the subject of the `*Help*' buffer.

Then I agree with you :-)

And we do have it for some `*Help*' buffers - e.g., `C-h f defcustom'.

Thank you, this is an excellent example, it is exactly what I meant: a link to the chapter of the manual.

Inline (i.e., in-context) links are better, in general, than a pile of see-also's at the end of the buffer.

Not a pile, one or two.  The point is to make manuals more accessible.