RE: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: RE: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 22:01:18 +0000

C-h f kill-line
put point somewhere on 'kill-line' in the docstring
C-h S

Now making that more widely known would help, I think.

Yes. A start is to what I do in `help-mode+.el': change the help-echo on a linked symbol, so it includes mention of `C-h S'. This trivial change could be made to `help-mode.el'.

IOW, instead of just

"mouse-2, RET: describe this symbol"

say:

"mouse-2, RET: describe, C-h S RET: check manual"

This help-echo is not present in all help buffers, I see it only in C-h m (describe-mode) buffers. And it is necessary to put point on the symbol before pressing C-h S RET.

Wouldn't a "See also chapter N ZZZZ in the Emacs manual." and/or "For programmers, see also chapter N ZZZZ in the Emacs Lisp manual." (with hyperlinks) at the end of ordinary help buffers be much more useful? I can only speak for myself, but this is what I would have found useful when I started using Emacs.