Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 07:38:00 +0000

We could add a "View in Manual" button in Help buffers if info-lookup says that the symbol is in the Emacs Lisp Info index.

Yes, it should be fairly easy to do using the `help-fns-describe-*-functions` hooks.

For interactive functions (a.k.a. "commands"), there's an ambiguity here: should the link lead to the Emacs user manual or to the Emacs Lisp Reference manual? We could show both, but that could confuse users (as opposed to Lisp programmers).

I think something like:

   Also documented in the >Emacs user's manual<.
   Also documented in the >ELisp programmer's reference<.

should be clear enough (where >...< is meant to delimit the hyperlink).

Perhaps it would be even clearer as follows (again with the example of kill-buffer):

See also `(emacs) Buffers'.  For programmers, see also `(elisp) Buffers'.