Re: eww and bookmarks

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: eww and bookmarks
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 04:17:44 +0200

address@hidden (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:

>    > It would be strange if eww implemented its own bookmarking
>    > functionality, when all of this is already simple to add.
>
>    Just to be clear: this is where we are, eww has it's own
>    bookmarking mechanism, for a long time.
>
> That is a pity, but not one that is impossible to change.  The
> bookmarking code in eww, could be replaced with the same functionality
> as used in rest of Emacs and still I think be compatible with the
> current way eww does bookmarks from a users point of view.
>
> Some sort of hackery maybe to convert existing bookmarks to
> bookmark.el format might be useful though.

Lars, we are wondering why you implemented a separate bookmarking
mechanism for eww instead of relying on the existing Emacs bookmarks.
Could you give us some background?  Do eww bookmarks offer some feature
that vanilla bookmarks don't support?  Or did you just want to have
something separate?

TIA,

Michael.