Re: eww and bookmarks

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: eww and bookmarks
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 01:26:55 -0400

   > Isn't this very easily done though, both so that it works for the case

   No one said it is hard ;-)  It's only left to decide how the handler
   should behave.

The most natural behaviour would be to use browse-url-browser-function
-- since that is what everything else in GNU Emacs would normally use
to browse URL's.

   > of eww, but also (which I think is important, in the generic case),
   > simple untested hackery, in .emacs.bmk we have:
   >
   > ("The GNU Operating System and the Free Software Movement"
   >  (url . "http://www.gnu.org/";)
   >  (handler . browse-url-bookmark-jump))

   Is there really a generic case that creates bookmarks with an url
   field?

I'm not sure what you mean generic here?

Adding a new entry is possible, and even a supported case by
bookmark-make-record.  Any web browser that can set a bookmark
(i.e. anything in Emacs) would ofcourse need to agree on using that
specific entry.

   > It would be strange if eww implemented its own bookmarking
   > functionality, when all of this is already simple to add.

   Just to be clear: this is where we are, eww has it's own
   bookmarking mechanism, for a long time.

That is a pity, but not one that is impossible to change.  The
bookmarking code in eww, could be replaced with the same functionality
as used in rest of Emacs and still I think be compatible with the
current way eww does bookmarks from a users point of view.

Some sort of hackery maybe to convert existing bookmarks to
bookmark.el format might be useful though.