Re: eww and bookmarks

From: Matthias Meulien
Subject: Re: eww and bookmarks
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 10:44:58 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden> writes:

Matthias Meulien <address@hidden> writes:
Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes: > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2020-04/msg00265.html > says "installed!" but I'm not seeing it (though maybe my > git-fu is failing) On my side too, I could not find anything related on master.

BTW, have you had a look at the discussion there?  Any opinion?

Yes, I read that thread. My use case is the same as the one of the OP of the thread you referenced: Being able to bookmark a web page and visit that page again in a different Emacs session, using the usual commands defined in bookmark.el (if using eww bookmarks, I would have to learn new kebindings and list bookmarks in different buffer than *Bookmark List*).

By the way, I can't imagine installing a third-party library for such a simple feature.

How should the bookmarks behave? Should they be exact counterparts of eww bookmarks?

I went through what eww info manual says on bookmarks and used those bookmarks once to understand what is the provided feature; I can't find anything not available from standard bookmarks. Can you give details on what would be lost if eww used bookmarks.el?

Should they be linked to eww, or should it be possible to open them also with another browser (e.g. w3m).

May be use `browse-url-default-browser`, but it's a different discussion IMOH; The current need is to make the user life simpler with a single place to search their bookmarks and don't ask them to learn a second set of key bindings, manage a new file containing bookmarks and configure news hooks in case they want to customize their bookmark list appearance...

Note that in the same direction there's a proposal to base bookmark list on `tabulated-list-mode` https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2020-01/msg01319.html.
Finally, what should I specify as `defaults' list for the name suggestions available when you are prompted for a name for a new bookmark? Just the url?

An HTML document may have a "title" element; Isn't it possible to use the value of that element when available? And the URL otherwise.

I apologize I've not found time to check your patch right now; I'll try it in the forthcoming days.
--
Matthias Meulien