Re: eww and bookmarks

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: eww and bookmarks
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 11:03:23 -0400

   >> Those that like EWW would already be doing:
   >>   (setq browse-url-browser-function 'eww-browse-url)
   > Ok, so you would make the handler call `browse-url-browser-function',
   > and not eww unconditionally.  I think I would prefer that behavior, too.

   FWIW, I would like to use bookmarks for EWW, and I'd like those
   bookmarks to *always* use EWW, and my `browse-url-browser-function` is
   definitely not EWW but Firefox.

Wouldn't defadvice with browse-url-browser-function bound to
eww-browse-url over browse-url-bookmark-jump be sufficient?

   Emacs bookmarks don't just refer to a particular "page" but also
   remember the place within that page (by remembering surrounding text)
   and I think this part can only work if we go back with EWW.

   Since the page was originally viewed in EWW the corresponding bookmark
   *by default* should use EWW as well.  We can add a configuration option
   to make it obey `browse-url-browser-function` if you want, but it should
   not be the default behavior: a bookmark is supposed to bring you back to
   where it was created, so if it was created in EWW it shouldn't send you
   to Firefox.

That sounds like confusing behaviour, you would never know what your
bookmark jump would jump too -- somtimes it is EWW, somtimes it is
Firefox, sometimes it might be a third thing?