Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 18:01:21 +0300

> From: Göktuğ Kayaalp <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 17:04:28 +0300
> Cc: address@hidden, Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  Göktuğ Kayaalp <address@hidden>,
>  Phillip Lord <address@hidden>
>

> On 2020-05-19 18:52 +03, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > We don't disagree on the advantages and disadvantages.  We just disagree
> > on the respective weight we put on them.
>
> :thumbs-up:
>

> I wonder what’s the final say on this.  AFAIU y’all are not keen on
> merging this.  Or is it still up for discussion?  There’s a nice patch
> by Adrián I’ll be merging soon which removes the dash dependency and
> fixes a few problems.

I think the only proposal on the table that has real chances to be
acceptable by most of us is to split ELPA into two, whether internally
(i.e. separate directories or something similar) or externally (i.e. 2
different repositories).  If there's no significant opposition to
this, I hope we can start actually doing that.  Then s.el, dash.el,
and other similar packages can be put in the "non-core" part of ELPA
without any significant changes.