Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 23:34:49 -0400

> I don’t think it’s that much of additional complexity given many
> popular programming languages have multiple ways to define one off
> closures: Python (inline def vs. lambda), JavaScript, Ruby, even C++
> these days AFAIU.

How many non-Python programmers have to touch such Python code?
[ Repeat that same question for your other examples.  ]

Anonymous functions are part of the subset of Elisp that random Emacs
users are exposed to in normal .emacs settings.  Any change that makes
this subset more complex is significantly more harmful than changes to
other parts of Elisp, so it needs to come with bigger upsides to pay
for itself.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

        Stefan