Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 12:34:47 +0200

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 12:11:58PM +0200, Philippe Vaucher wrote:

[...]

> Okay, I understand FSF wants the safe option. Once there is
> jurisprudence that the digital signatures are valid in court, the FSF
> will probably adapt.
>
> So, basically until then it's useless to even pursue these smooth options.
>
> Thanks for making it clear this is a dealbreaker.

Well -- I didn't reach that conclusion yet. As you noted,
the environment moves, and it is a Good Thing to get some
discussion moving. Ideally the outcome is some set of
requirements the FSF has on the signature process, and
then a set of technical measures can be adapted to that.

I can understand your position (this pushing of physical
paper around does feel antiquated), so raising the point
is valid. But to change it, it's necessary to understand
why it's there.

Or something.

Cheers
-- t