Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 12:22:51 +0200

> So Adobe Sign allows me to "just type Philippe Vaucher on my keyboard""
> and bam, I am Philippe Vaucher!  Gee thanks Adobe.

Yes, just like in a real world shop I can sign X and I am now X
instead of Philippe Vaucher :-)

My point is that signature is not identification, signature is
confirmation. A contract is "identification + confirmation"
(identification of who is about to sign followed by confirmation of
acceptance of the terms).

In the real world it's more complex: identification is done using the
person's ID and the name they filled the form with, then at sign time
the signature is used as a confirmation for closing the deal. Then
later on if there is an issue, the signature is then used as
identification again by comparing it to other signatures and using
graphology.

Online it's more simple: identification is done before accessing the
form (double authentication, email validation, whatever), then once
you access the form there's only the confirmation-step remaining.

Can this be abused? Sure. More that in the real world? I doubt it.

Philippe