Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 18:33:07 +0100

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 6:15 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> The "critical path" is rather on the ideological side, on the "so many
> steps, so much time" side

Those are quite two different sides.  And yes I agree the
"ideological side" is very relevant here, I've said it before.

> (send an email to emacs-devel, then get an
> email in return, the send an email to the FSF, then

Yes, the hard life of sending email back and forth. As
evidenced by zillion-mail-long threads about the subject.

> signing is a just a small part of it compared to all the waiting), and
> last but not least on getting the employer to sign its part.

My employer didn't sign anything back in 2012 oir 2011
or something like that. I just answered a questionnaire, I think,
stating that the employer had no claim over the software.

And if there's no impediments, I think patch reviews can
proceed while all that waiting is going on . In my case I did
it for yasnippet and I didn't stop contributing to it while I
was waiting for the paperwork to come in.

I disagree with you, Stefan, I think the "critical path" lies
in the engineering bits. As you said: integration is hard.

João