Re: PL support

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 06:06:49 +0300

On 11.05.2020 05:40, Richard Stallman wrote:

In general, when we put a package into GNU ELPA, we want to be able
to move it into the core.  Putting off getting assignments would be
asking for trouble, for reasons you have just encountered yourself.
The policy of getting assignments at the earlier time, when we put
the package into GNU ELPA, keeps is from putting it off.

If there were ever some package we want to refer people to
but certainly would never want to move it into the core,
this issue would not arise.

We don't want to move every package to the core. Quite the opposite, a most of them can live quite comfortably outside, when they're self-contained features. And the more packages we add to GNU ELPA, the bigger fraction of such packages will be.

So I think deferring the step of asking for copyright assignment until we actually want to do the move to the core. We can track the packages without assignments the same way we've been tracking the "excepted" files in the repository.

The clear benefit is the bigger choice of packages, vetted by us, and available for users to install right away.