Re: PL support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 05:36:33 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 14:08:09 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Why? what's wrong with using MELPA?
>
> The main problem for me flows from the fact that we can't configure
> MELPA by default nor even recommend it prominently in the manual and on
> the website.

I already asked why is this an issue.  Emacs needs configuration for
many purposes, for example for sending and receiving email.  There is
no need to have every wish of every user be available by default OOTB.

> For many users (me included), using Emacs without packages from MELPA
> would mean missing out on functionality you depend on for carrying out
> your daily work.

Emacs lets you do whatever you want.  You don't need any blessing from
the project.

> I also think it's strategically bad if we want more people assign their
> code and get more people involved in Emacs development.  The way to do
> that is surely to do everything we can to pull package developers closer
> to us, not just tell them to stay in MELPA.

We welcome anyone who wants to become involved and wants to
contribute.  But as a project, we have our conventions and standards,
and contributors are kindly requested to follow them when they
contribute to Emacs.  Every project does that, and there's nothing
wrong with such requirements.  Those requirements are meant to keep
the quality of Emacs high enough.