Re: PL support

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 14:05:57 -0400

> Sorry, but this is not our problem.  We cannot fix the entire world.
> If Emacs users who install packages from MELPA have fears about their
> security, let them take this up with MELPA admins, or fork MELPA and
> make their own site, or do anything else.  This isn't part of the
> problem that the Emacs project should tackle.

The way I see it, currently Emacs de-facto recommends to most of its
users to add MELPA to their `package-archives`.

Now, I actually think MELPA is pretty good (modulo the few packages in
it which end up recommending/advertizing proprietary tools), so maybe
a better solution is to be honest about this de-facto situation and
actually add MELPA to the default value of `package-archives`.

Of course, those few not-quite-libre packages could pose problems for
that since they go against some of our values, so maybe we should not
add MELPA itself, but the "libre-MELPA" subset (which someone will have
to create and maintain).

WDYT?

        Stefan