Re: PL support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 20:11:34 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 19:54:29 +0300
>
> In the meantime, we're losing out on nearly-built-in support for
> many file types, e.g. yaml-mode.

What do you mean by "nearly-built-in support"?  And how are we losing
it?

> > and Stefan and others seem to say that even cleanness
> > of design and implementation and compatibility with the overall Emacs
> > design are out of our hands, I really fail to see what would be the
> > meaning of "vetted by us" in this context.
>
> One obvious thing: every package is highly unlikely to nuke your
> machine, or steal your credentials.

Sorry, but this is not our problem.  We cannot fix the entire world.
If Emacs users who install packages from MELPA have fears about their
security, let them take this up with MELPA admins, or fork MELPA and
make their own site, or do anything else.  This isn't part of the
problem that the Emacs project should tackle.

> We could also have other differentiating features. For example, asking
> authors of "external" packages to sign commits that bump the version number.

Again, not our problem.  We have enough on our plate already.