Reconciling org-mode idiosyncrasies with Emacs core (was: Convert some f

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Reconciling org-mode idiosyncrasies with Emacs core (was: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 13:37:06 +0200

>                                               For example, having RET
> inserting a plain newline would be a disaster in many locations.

I don't think I've seen anybody advocating for that!  If you are
referring to this bit:

>   (Frustratingly, org-mode uses what I think of as the "old" convention
>   to use RET as "plain newline" and C-j as "smart newline with indent".)

If anything, I was advocating for RET not to insert a plain newline *at
all* (when electric-indent-mode is t, anyway).

>                                                For example, Org expects
> a specific, context-aware, "newline and indent" function. But it could
> include support for Electric Indent mode. Would Someone™ want to help in
> that area?

Do you think a patch that

- tweaked org-return (bound to RET) to default its INDENT argument to
  the current value of electric-indent-mode,

- tweaked org-return-indent (bound to C-j) to call
  electric-newline-and-maybe-indent (the new default binding for C-j
  everywhere else in Emacs, which takes care of consulting
  electric-indent-mode) instead of newline-and-indent,

would be well-received?  I would love to cook up such a patch, but I
would be loath to break the workflows of long-time Org users who have
come to rely on C-j indenting and RET inserting plain newlines …