Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:53:35 +0200

Hello,

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Nice to hear.  Maybe it would be possible to group all specific
> keybindings (that override the default Emacs commands) into a mode
> enabled by default, but that could be easily disabled, resetting them
> to their original definitions.

In recent Org releases, all keybindings are located in the same
"org-keys.el" file. So it sounds easy enough to create minor mode that
basically undoes what Org does.

However, from the Org perspective, this would be rather pointless, if
not self-defeating. The very purpose of this major mode is to provide
tooling (including bindings) to operate on Org files, i.e., text files
written in Org syntax. I think removing most of these tools would create
a terrible editing experience for no benefit. For example, having RET
inserting a plain newline would be a disaster in many locations (e.g.,
on a headline, in a table).

While I invite you to implement and test the minor mode you are
suggesting, I think ignoring what Org needs is a dead-end. It would be
more beneficial to start from those needs, and think about what can be
done to reconcile them with usual Emacs' ways. For example, Org expects
a specific, context-aware, "newline and indent" function. But it could
include support for Electric Indent mode. Would Someone™ want to help in
that area?

WDYT?

Regards,

--