Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:52:42 +0900

Thank you Howard.

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 12:27, Howard Melman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary
> <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> On Apr 27, 2020, at 23:36, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> So, from what I gather here, we could satisfy everyone by using for the
>>> file format a very small subset of org-mode (basically the subset
>>> that is common with outline-mode), and for the major-mode itself
>>> a variant of org-mode that loads faster (e.g. a stripped down version
>>> of org-mode, or an org-mode that's been profiled&tweaked to load
>>> faster).
>>
>> My reading is that org-mode users would just appreciate if
>> outline-mode had "non-nonsense" navigation similar to org-mode.
>
> FWIW, I've had this in my init for several years now. I'm
> not an org-mode user, though I've tried a few times. I can
> never remember the outline-mode keybindings and found  that
> org-mode's C-TAB and S-TAB alone were huge wins and just
> worked in outline-minor-mode.  This my solution to code
> folding and I use it in other modes like markdown.  Adding
> org-cycle and org-global-cycle to outline mode, or some
> equivalent I think would be a huge usability win.

That's excellent. I could never get used to outline-mode (even though I tried:
I see that I have ouline files more than 10 years old) and that's one of the
reasons why I moved to org-mode. Then I started to learn new things in org-mode
and I can't go back to outline.

But what you propose is certainly a solution to all the org-moders who want to
be able to seamlessly access outline files.

> ;; I can never remember the outline keybindings,
> ;; grabbing C-tab and S-Tab from org-mode is genius
> ;; Also make the outline move commands memorable (borrowing from org)
> (with-eval-after-load "outline"
>  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "C-<tab>") 'org-cycle)
>  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "S-<tab>") 'org-global-cycle)
>  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<left>") 'outline-demote)
>  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<right>") 'outline-promote)
>  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<up>") 'outline-move-subtree-up)
>  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<down>")
> 'outline-move-subtree-down)
> )

Jean-Christophe Helary