Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 23:27:39 -0400

Jean-Christophe Helary
<address@hidden> writes:

>> On Apr 27, 2020, at 23:36, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> So, from what I gather here, we could satisfy everyone by using for the
>> file format a very small subset of org-mode (basically the subset
>> that is common with outline-mode), and for the major-mode itself
>> a variant of org-mode that loads faster (e.g. a stripped down version
>> of org-mode, or an org-mode that's been profiled&tweaked to load
>> faster).
>
> My reading is that org-mode users would just appreciate if
> outline-mode had "non-nonsense" navigation similar to org-mode.

FWIW, I've had this in my init for several years now. I'm
not an org-mode user, though I've tried a few times. I can
never remember the outline-mode keybindings and found  that
org-mode's C-TAB and S-TAB alone were huge wins and just
worked in outline-minor-mode.  This my solution to code
folding and I use it in other modes like markdown.  Adding
org-cycle and org-global-cycle to outline mode, or some
equivalent I think would be a huge usability win.

;; I can never remember the outline keybindings,
;; grabbing C-tab and S-Tab from org-mode is genius
;; Also make the outline move commands memorable (borrowing from org)
(with-eval-after-load "outline"
  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "C-<tab>") 'org-cycle)
  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "S-<tab>") 'org-global-cycle)
  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<left>") 'outline-demote)
  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<right>") 'outline-promote)
  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<up>") 'outline-move-subtree-up)
  (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "M-<down>")
'outline-move-subtree-down)
)

--

Howard