Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 10:36:32 -0400

>>     * CONTRIBUTE:
>>     * etc/CALC-NEWS:
>>     * etc/DEBUG:
>>     * etc/MACHINES:
>>     * etc/PROBLEMS:
>>     * etc/TODO: Use org-mode instead of outline-mode.
>> The reason is that I believe our users are more familiar with org-mode
>> than outline-mode, and that I simply think the interface is better.
>> It's the forward-looking, "modern" choice, if you like.
>> So please make it known how you feel about this proposal.
>
> I would say that Outline is much better than Org for simple
> informational files, such as `NEWS', `DEBUG', or `CALC-NEWS'.
>
> Org may be useful if we ever expand `TODO' to actually include
> work-in-progress tasks, a schedule, or similar items, but I think we
> should stick with Outline right now.

So, from what I gather here, we could satisfy everyone by using for the
file format a very small subset of org-mode (basically the subset
that is common with outline-mode), and for the major-mode itself
a variant of org-mode that loads faster (e.g. a stripped down version
of org-mode, or an org-mode that's been profiled&tweaked to load
faster).

        Stefan