Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: ndame
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 16:38:32 +0000

> Maybe some improvements to the welcome screen. A better tutorial (which
>showcases advanced features, not just the "alien" part of Emacs) and/or some
>guides.

If the cursor keys work out of the box then the tutorial should
begin with features which can be used without learning new cursor keys,
demonstrating something which emacs does well or better than other
tools. Is there such a thing? Or does learning emacs mostly pay off
for the advanced user? I can't think of a feature right know where
emacs shines for the casual user.

C-v and stuff are advanced topics IMO which pay off mostly in the long
run, not at the beginning, they could be shown in an advanced section
of the tutorial later.

And for keybindings there is no real need to switch to emacs, because,
for example, vscode can also have emacs keys:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=tuttieee.emacs-mcx

So some feature should be found which can be shown for the casual user at the
beginning
of the tutorial which may convince the user that emacs is worth the effort.

IMO  starting with C-v, etc. keys just puts off must users who casually try
emacs.