Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 10:12:54 +0300

> From: chad <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 15:52:04 -0700
> Cc: ndame <address@hidden>, Drew Adams <address@hidden>,
>       조성빈 <address@hidden>,
>       EMACS development team <address@hidden>
>
>  > Pretty nice and well put together. It really should be linked from
>  > the startup screen.
>
>  It's already there.
>
> I checked again with emacs -q on a fresh build from this morning. The default
> starting text is below, but it
> doesn't seem to include it. I also checked the default Help menu, where I
> thought that it had once been
> included, but didn't find it there, either. Maybe I got removed at some point?

No, it was not removed.  It's still there, both in Emacs 27 and on
master.  But we have several different variants of the startup screen,
and what gets actually displayed depends on how you invoke Emacs and
on Emacs's capabilities in the session you started.  So how did you
start Emacs (from the shell prompt, from some icon, from some
service), and what kind of features do you have in that build?

Alternatively, just read the code in startup.el and try to figure out
why you don't have that displayed in your case.  It usually means you
lack some capability, but of course there could be some bug as well.