Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: chad
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 15:52:04 -0700

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 12:25 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 18:53:56 +0000
> From: ndame <address@hidden>
> Cc: Drew Adams <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>  조성빈 <address@hidden>,
>  EMACS development team <address@hidden>
>
> Pretty nice and well put together. It really should be linked from
> the startup screen.

It's already there.

I checked again with emacs -q on a fresh build from this morning. The default starting text is below, but it doesn't seem to include it. I also checked the default Help menu, where I thought that it had once been included, but didn't find it there, either. Maybe I got removed at some point?

Welcome to GNU Emacs, one component of the GNU/Linux operating system.
To follow a link, click Mouse-1 on it, or move to it and type RET.
To quit a partially entered command, type Control-g.

Important Help menu items:
Emacs Tutorial Learn basic Emacs keystroke commands
Read the Emacs Manual View the Emacs manual using Info
(Non)Warranty GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Copying Conditions Conditions for redistributing and changing Emacs
More Manuals / Ordering Manuals  How to order printed manuals from the FSF

Useful tasks:
Visit New File Specify a new file’s name, to edit the file
Open Home Directory Open your home directory, to operate on its files
Customize Startup Change initialization settings including this screen

GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-04-24