Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 02:15:41 +0300

On 25.04.2020 23:45, Yuan Fu wrote:

Though, it's a single line displaying completions, a vertical display
could be better, especially if the entries are longer.

And someone did it already:

https://github.com/oantolin/icomplete-vertical

Icomplete-vertical should be adopted into the core as an option and this
is how completion should be set up for newbies.

It's still not as good looking as the one on my first link, but it's
almost there. It's vertical, it gives you instant results, so it's much
closer to completion provided by modern tools (Idea, VsCode, etc.) than
the default one.

Thanks for sharing! I tried to use icomplete with ā€œ\nā€ separator, but
encountered the problem that this package aims to solve. This should definitely
be included as bugfix.

And it's definitely a very good step.

It would be even better if it could work with any of the packages that move minibuffer into a childframe. Unfortunately, the combination seems broken one way or another, probably because icomplete-vertical has to rely on a hack to get the right behavior.

E.g. with https://github.com/honmaple/emacs-maple-minibuffer I get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot resize a minibuffer-only frame")
  resize-mini-window-internal(#<window 6 on  *Minibuf-1*>)
  window--resize-mini-window(#<window 6 on  *Minibuf-1*> 36)
  enlarge-window(1)
  icomplete-vertical-minibuffer-setup()
  run-hooks(icomplete-minibuffer-setup-hook)
  icomplete-minibuffer-setup()