Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 21:09:04 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 20:34:45 +0300
>
> >> On GTK, we're already there. Since 22.2, apparently. Only we haven't
> >> been paying attention to keeping this feature in proper maintenance.
> > I'm asking people to think whether we_want_  that.  That we are one
> > leg there doesn't yet mean we decided to do that consciously.  You are
> > suggesting to make that a policy, and that's a serious decision, IMO.
>
> First of all, I'm suggesting we fix how the icons look in the GTK build.

Fixing them by replacing the current icons with prettier ones is okay.
Using the toolkit icons everywhere, as a matter of policy, is a
different matter.

> Then you are welcome to discuss whether macOS and Windows could use
> something like that. And whether they should. Since you're skeptical of
> this approach from the outset, I'd rather bow out of that discussion.

Forget MS-Windows and macOS, that's not my worry right now.  IIUC,
your suggestion was to use whatever native icons each toolkit offers
on Posix platforms as well, and it wasn't limited to GTK.  That is the
decision I was talking about.  I myself have no strong opinions on
this, only weak ones.  But no serious decision-making should happen
without a "red team" on board making sure we don't fall victim to
groupthink simply because no one dares to ask a question about the
nature of emperor's clothes.  I tried to present arguments to the
contrary with that in mind, so people could consider both sides.