Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 20:06:08 +0300

On 22.04.2020 19:55, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
And the icons look the same, no matter what distribution are we
talking about?  Doesn't something depend also on the desktop that's in
use, and perhaps also on the window manager?

No, the icons looks different across themes. Hence the whole notion of "icon themes". But the set of icon names is fairly stable. This is what we'd be relying on.

See x-gtk-stock-map for some more detail.

I'm not sure I like this direction.  It sounds like the opposite of
having an Emacs that looks more or less the same on all major
platforms.

Right. It's already not the case.

How will the users (and newbies at that, since we are
talking about them primarily) be able to find their ways in Emacs, if
the icons change with the desktop/platform, and every few years even
on the same platform?

People have been doing all right regarding that. At least, I haven't seen much criticism of GTK's approach in this regard.

E.g., you buy the Emacs manual printed a year
or 2 ago, but the icons it shows are all different from what's on
display.  I don't even understand how will we be able to show the
icons in our Info manual, if the images don't come with Emacs and are
different on each platform/build.

The window looks are different between platforms anyway. As well as such fundamental thing as the placement of window's close/maximize/iconize buttons.

Do we really want to go in that
direction? just to say we look "modern"?

On GTK, we're already there. Since 22.2, apparently. Only we haven't been paying attention to keeping this feature in proper maintenance. I'm guessing because some of our core developers use other platforms, others build with Lucid, and the reset disable the toolbars? But that's not a good approach.