Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 02:54:13 +0300

From: Jean-Christophe Helary<address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 16:28:33 +0900

On Apr 17, 2020, at 16:06, Eli Zaretskii<address@hidden>  wrote:

In any case, this is a non-trivial job, and volunteers are most
welcome to do it.  I don't think anyone is happy about the icons shown
on the tool bar by Message mode; the only reason we use them is that
we couldn't find better ones that are free and suitable for inclusion
in Emacs.
What is the criteria for "suitable" ? Is that an esthetical one ?
"Suitable" in all the senses mentioned in this discussion.  Including,
but not limited to, aesthetics.

I have a suggestion that might circumvent this whole discussion.

Just now, I turned on the toolbar and entered bug reporting mode with 'M-x report-emacs-bug'. I am using a GNOME theme specially made for Ubuntu.

The attached picture shows a toolbar with an assortment of icons where about half obey the current theme and the rest don't. I also tried switching between icons themes to confirm this.

The icons to the left of "Send Message", as well as the "Kill Message" icon, change together with the themes. The red round thingy with an "x" changes only with some themes, but not with the rest. Perhaps that means that the icon with that name/identifier is themed more rarely. But it's still somewhat standard.

The rest of the icons ("Send Message", "Attach File" and the rest after it) never follow the theme.

Perhaps the solution, at least for the GTK builds, would be to find the standard icons (more concretely, icon names) that can be used for these buttons, instead of picking among the icon sets. The latter should be the user's choice, after all.