Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 18:29:08 +0200

    Dmitry> On 22.04.2020 17:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
    >> especially since that
    >> toolkit is troubled and many users avoid building with it for that
    >> reason.

    Dmitry> Also, I think we're planning (at least as a wishlist item) to solve
    Dmitry> this my making a "proper" GTK backend instead of removing it.

Making a proper GTK backend will not remove the reason that people
build with lucid, which is wanting emacs to be able to survive X
disconnects, unless we have evidence that proper GTK works in that
scenario.

It will help with things like HiDPI autoscaling, and maybe frame
resizing.

Someone in this thread mentioned they were working on a 'proper' GTK
backend, is that anywhere near useable yet?

Robert