Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 16:20:27 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 22:20:39 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>       > This work is licenced under the terms of either the GNU LGPL v3 or
>
> If the icons would be part of the program, Emacs, that would be the
> same situation as with Qt.  No good.
>
>       > Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
>
> That is incompatible with every version of the GPL.  If the icons
> would be part of the program, Emacs, that would be no good.
>
> If the icons would NOT be part of the program, Emacs, then there
> is no conflict.
>
> The Emacs distribution contains many works, including textual, art,
> and small programs, which are distinct from the program, Emacs.

What is the practical meaning of being "part of the program, Emacs" as
opposed to "being distinct from the program, Emacs"?  How does one
tell whether a given icon is in this or the other category?

E.g., we have a lot of icons in etc/images/.  We show these icons on
the tool bar and elsewhere when and where appropriate.  Are those
icons part of Emacs the program, or aren't they?