Re: Improving icons shipped with Emacs (was: "Why is emacs so square?")

From: ndame
Subject: Re: Improving icons shipped with Emacs (was: "Why is emacs so square?")
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 07:04:21 +0000

> > Emacs could benefit from using these icons too, even if they are obsolete,
> > because they are consistent and look good.
>
> Agreed. We could also add more GTK icons to x-gtk-stock-map as a temporary
> measure for right now, since they are the icons that are used in X11/GTK
> builds of Emacs, and my anecdotal experience tells me that's the version
> of Emacs most beginners are likely to use.

I wonder if icons in an obsolete gnome branch can be relicensed. It's GPL2
currently.

It has a standard GPL2 copying file in the tree and no more:

https://launchpad.net/gnome-icon-theme/+milestone/2.20.0

Does a standard GPL2 file implies later GPL versions too?

If not then they probably woudn't mind adding a README file saying "GPL2 and
later" the question is if they want to bother with this.