Re: Improving icons shipped with Emacs (was: "Why is emacs so square?")

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Improving icons shipped with Emacs (was: "Why is emacs so square?")
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 14:02:35 +0800

ndame <address@hidden> writes:

> The Gnome icons at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Desktop_icons
> are apparently for an earlier, obsolete version. I downloaded the indicated
> version (gnome-icon-theme 2.20.0) and the files in it were last changed in
> 2007,
> but the icons still look nice.
>
> Emacs could benefit from using these icons too, even if they are obsolete,
> because they are consistent and look good.

Agreed.  We could also add more GTK icons to x-gtk-stock-map as a temporary
measure for right now, since they are the icons that are used in X11/GTK
builds of Emacs, and my anecdotal experience tells me that's the version
of Emacs most beginners are likely to use.

In the long term, we really need to get rid of the legacy icons, many of
which are derived from the original X Window System distribution, and
are beginning to look highly out-of-date.