Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: ndame
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 04:40:13 +0000

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

> > So since this is the second method, what are the legal requirements
>
> > from icon files that we bundle with Emacs? Just a free license?
>
> Yes. Any free license will do, for the icons.

I checked the KDE icons too and they have this text for license (excerpts):

    This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
    License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
    version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Clarification:

  The GNU Lesser General Public License or LGPL is written for
  software libraries in the first place. We expressly want the LGPL to
  be valid for this artwork library too.

  KDE Oxygen theme icons is a special kind of software library, it is an
  artwork library, it's elements can be used in a Graphical User Interface, or
  GUI.

It contains the later version clause too for LGPL, so I guess the problem
of icons is solved.

There is a choice too, both of these have this license. Emacs could even
offer a choice of icon themes for the user:

https://github.com/KDE/oxygen-icons/

https://github.com/KDE/breeze-icons/