Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 17:50:57 +0300

On 07.04.2020 17:39, Robert Pluim wrote:
     Dmitry> (string-match-p "GTK3" system-configuration-features) seems to do
the trick.

C-h v system-configuration-features says:
     This is mainly intended for diagnostic purposes in bug reports.
     Don't rely on it for testing whether a feature you want to use is
available.

If this kind of stuff is really needed (and I hope it isnʼt) then we
should come up with a lisp variable with a guaranteed set of values
for toolkit type.

Is it really unreliable or just subject to change?

Since we still hope that Emacs 28 won't need this particular check, and the variable has been present in all recent releases, maybe it's good enough.