Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 01:51:15 +0300

Hi Martin,

On 12.03.2020 10:23, martin rudalics wrote:
 >> It also freezes Emacs on
 >> desktops like kwin and xfwm and therefore must be made optional anyway.
 >
> That's unfortunate. If there was a way to detect Mutter programmatically, maybe we should use that. Even if just to set the default value of the new variable you've described below.

I've been trying to do that but it's unreliable (BTW mutter here
identifies itself as GNOME shell): We would have to test such an
automatism on all possible desktops people use.  So better leave that to
Emacs 28.

By the way, any chance we can have a variable or an accessor function that would return what the current WM identifies as?

Emacs might not want to alter its behavior based on that for now, but third-party packages (such as posframe) can experiment with that in the meantime.

And also, what's the best way to detect which toolkit was Emacs compiled with? Only look for 'gtk3' substring in system-configuration-options?