Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Support
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 08:31:38 +0000

On 7. Apr 2020, at 10:33, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:

> > By the way, any chance we can have a variable or an accessor function
> > that would return what the current WM identifies as?
>
> I started to look into this but with meager results so far.  From what I
> read on the Web there's no standardized approach to find that out.

Have you tried the _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK window’s _NET_WM_NAME?

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.5/ar01s03.html#idm46094431920896:

~~~
_NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK

_NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK, WINDOW/32

The Window Manager MUST set this property on the root window to be the ID of a
child window created by himself, to indicate that a compliant window manager is
active. The child window MUST also have the _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK property
set to the ID of the child window. The child window MUST also have the
_NET_WM_NAME property set to the name of the Window Manager.

[…]
~~~

Best regards,
Adrián.