Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 21:14:41 +0300

On 13.05.2019 17:48, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Before I reply to the rest, I'd like to clarify: my surprise was at the
declared difficulty of switching between the web browser and Emacs.

You
want me to copy/paste the text to Emacs, edit there, then copy/paste
back?

No, I just meant Alt-Tab.

But to answer your question: maybe, sometimes. Though if you mean to copy-paste to Emacs the previous message, split it into quotes, write a reply and copy-paste it back, then no, it's not something I ever do or recommend. I only ever copy-paste in one direction (identifiers or code snippets, mostly). Of course, the browser extensions we've mentioned ("Edit in Emacs") might create some different tradeoffs.

So for you the Emacs solution will not be needed.  But there are
enough of those who'd want it.

The option to reply via email is still available. So I imagine you could only go for the browser version for the more complex actions, but not when writing a simple reply.

or ask. I think (as a person familiar with GitLab) that all names
are quite descriptive.

Well, perhaps then you could explain these to me:

  . the "mention" level

Suppose your login is going to be 'eliz'. Then if somebody writes '@eliz' in a comment to a bug report, that's called a "mention".

The description of that level on the notification settings page says:

   You will receive notifications only for comments
   in which you were @mentioned

  . the "global" level

It means to use the "global" notification settings for this particular project. They are configured separately, and have the save options.

  . from the "custom" level:
    - issue_due

Apparently a notification for an issue that had missed its due date: https://about.gitlab.com/2016/04/22/gitlab-8-7-released/

Never used that feature, personally.

    - push_to_merge_request

Whenever there is a push to the branch associated with an open merge request.

Normally happens when the patch submitter addresses the review comments and pushes the corresponding changes.

>  and merge_merge_request

When a merge request is merged.