Re: Scan of regexps in Emacs (March 17)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Scan of regexps in Emacs (March 17)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:17:46 +0200

> Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 21:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> The problem with an empty "should" is that it's
> vague, and it can be misunderstood as a (possibly
> shame-faced) "must".  (Shame-faced ~ weasel.)

That is true for documents that describe requirements of some sort.
That's not what our documentation does.

> But "should", "recommend", and "must" all typically
> beg the question of what happens if you don't.

That's an orthogonal issue, it exists regardless of the word you
choose.

> With "should", in particular, it's also typically
> unclear how important it is that you do what's
> suggested.

I disagree, but I do think that if the text begs such a question, it
should also answer it.  Again, this is regardless of which word is
used.